Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The price of quality

In a time when TV ratings are rapidly declining, it would appear as though the number of quality shows is increasing. One particular station that seems to be producing nothing but gems right now is Showtime.

Dexter, Californication, and the new show Shameless are all some of the most well-written and produced shows I've ever seen. They don't make the viewer wait 15 minutes for something to happen, they make the viewer want nothing to happen for 15 minutes just so they can figure out exactly how the story just got from point A to point B. 

The problem with Showtime is that it is not a basic cable channel. If you want the shows you're going to have to pay for them. I would have no problem with this, except that I for one just don't have the time to sit down and watch enough shows to make it worth the money. And I know you can watch the episodes all online, but why should I have to pay as much for something that costs them even less? I think it would be in Showtimes best interest to offer some sort of service where viewers can watch their shows for say 99 cents an episode, I'm sure more people would be willing to spend a buck to view it than 3.99 to buy the episode on Itunes.

I recently saw a statistic somewhere that said Dexter has an average of 12 million viewers and 6 million illegal viewers. Think of all the money to be made by providing a reasonable outlet to those 6 million viewers. Seems like a wasted opportunity to me right now.

1 comments:

Steve Macek said...

I do love Dexter. As you say, it is odd that Showtime does not make the episodes available for download immediately, because they could be making a lot of money. My guess is that we will see this sort of a la carte on demand service soon enough, though. It is the future.

Post a Comment